Thursday, February 01, 2007

I am doing a cleanse and thought I would write my account of the experience. I will try to update my blog every day or two and keep you informed of my progress.


Day 1
January 31, 2007

Weight: 208

I started the Master Cleanse today, or sometimes called the Lemonade Cleanse or diet. The cleanse process takes 10 days. I think I can give up eating for this period, but I will probably still drink some coffee each day (organic of course). I felt like I needed to do something to jump start a weight loss program and get back on track with my training for ultra distance marathons. Also, lots of stress in my life related to work and finances so I thought what the heck, you know, what can it hurt.

Basically, these are the supplies needed:

For the Lemonade:
Mix and drink 6-12 glasses a day. Here's the recipe:

2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice.

2 tablespoons of grade B organic maple syrup,

1/10 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and

8 fluid ounces of spring or purified water.

Other supplies:

1/2 pound non-iodized sea salt (for the salt water ‘flush’ each morning)

a box of herbal laxative (to take at night, before bed, to help ‘get things going’ in the morning)

I picked up my supplies at one of the local health food grocery stores. I think I bought enough of everything I will need except for lemons and bottled water. Total cost was about $53. I don’t figure this is too bad since I won’t be eating anything else during this period.

Today went ok, although I did drink some coffee. I only had 4 of the lemonade’s but I didn’t get started until almost noon today. Since I have to meet a client tomorrow, I am going to skip the herbal laxative tonight since I don’t know how I will react to it. I never did feel too hungry.

Day 2
February 1, 2007

Weight 205

Somewhat encouraged by the weight loss although I suppose it is water retention being released and not real weight loss. Got up this morning and drank the salt water flush. 20-30 minutes after drinking it I needed to use the bathroom and begin the cleanse. Probably had to go 4 times during the next 45 minutes to an hour, then it was safe to shower and go on into the office. Didn't have a stomach ache or dicomfort, just felt like I had gas and needed to go to the bathroom. If you are considering doing this cleanse, I would make sure you either get up early enough to take care of the morning cleanse before having to leave for work, school, etc. or make sure your morning schedule will allow you to go to the bathroom frequently. Judging by this mornings results, I am not sure I need the herbal laxative, but I think my schedule is such for tomorrow that tonight I can take it and if I need to spend some extra time at home in the morning, then that will be ok.

I mixed up some lemonade this morning before leaving the house and will do my best to consume the proper amount today. Also I am going to have a few cups of coffee this morning when I get to my office.

I occasionally get hungry, but don't feel like I am starving. When I get the craving to eat, I just drink some more lemonade.

2 Comments:

At 1:01 PM , Blogger JeffO said...

Thanks for the details. I want to do the MC soon.
This past month has been way too stressful, but I hope to do this after the Moab Red Hot 50K in two weeks.
I, too, drink lots of coffee, but nearly all of it has been organic. Not that I'm an organic-freak, but organic coffee tends to taste better. I might fudge the diet a tiny bit, but if I do, it will still not include solids. Unless you consider plain yoghurt as "solid". And I might take some vitamins and my Omega3-6-9 oil capsules.

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger Ultra Okie said...

I have wondered about taking some vitamins, but thought I would just go along and see how I feel. If I start feeling really tired and worn down, I might take some. I just can't seem to give up the coffee though!

Good luck at the Moab 50k.
Steve

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home